Sunday, September 22, 2013

Off to Oxford!

“I wonder anybody does anything at Oxford but dream and remember, the place is so beautiful.” 
- William Butler Yeats


This past week has been eventful, in more ways than one. Last Saturday, my whole program packed up and traveled to Oxford for the week. The program puts us in dorms at University College, the oldest campus that comprises the 39 colleges of Oxford. When we arrived, and settled, all I could think about was “it is too cold for words”.  Little did I know that my professors, who attended college at Oxford, would tell us that the heating wasn’t very good at all. After bundling up, the adventures began. On Sunday, I attended a church service at Christ Church Cathedral. Christ Church is another college of the University of Oxford. The cathedral itself was beautiful, and the service was a nice change of pace to reflect on everything that’s been going on in my life (traveling, settling in, and of course, getting accustomed to the culture). It was a rainy Sunday, per England’s usual weather, so we were all content to watch movies throughout the day.

Christ Church
On Monday, I had my morning class. My program sets up the same class schedule like we were all still in Bath so we can have our classes on the University College campus. Yes, the room was freezing, but all the while, it was nice to say that I did take some classes at an Oxford college. I had the next two days off from class because I didn’t have my placement at school, and I always have Wednesdays off. This meant I was definitely going to do some sightseeing.

As a girl, shopping is always a go-to when exploring a new area. In Oxford, we were all introduced to Primark, which is the Target/Marshalls/Forever 21 of England. They have clothes that are inexpensive, but good quality. Having packed a bit light (well, not too light) for my trip here, I thought I’d buy a few things at Primark to get me through these colder days….and I got a few other things too. How could I not? Thank goodness there isn’t a Primark in Bath because it would be dangerous for my trip back home.
I got some time to venture around Oxford by myself, and one of the first places I went was the University Church of St. Mary the Virgin. Now, I didn’t go for mass, but I went for another hidden gem of this remarkable building. For just a small admission fee, anyone can climb to the top of the church tower for an amazing view of the whole city of Oxford. They weren’t kidding. The morning I went, it was a bit overcast, but clear nonetheless. I climbed up the 129 stairs (which was my leg workout for the day), and reached the top. The views were stunning and each side of the tower provided a different view of the city. It was truly something I’ll never forget. The next stop on my sightseeing list was the Pitt Rivers Museum. This museum has anthropological/archeological collections, and is named after a man, General Pitt Rivers. I was immediately overwhelmed by all of the different items and displays in the museum, partially because it was unlike any museum I had been to before. The displays ranged from art to tools, and musical instruments to pottery. It was spectacular to see artifacts from all over the world.

View of Oxford from the top of University Church of St. Mary the Virgin

Inside Pitts River Museum

While in Oxford, we had to eat dinner at local restaurants. This allowed us to try out many of the delicious foods around the city. One night, my roommates and I ate at The Eagle and the Child, which is where C.S. Lewis would write his books. Another night, my program took us out for Indian food at a local restaurant, where we each got to order curries. The highlight of the week was the formal dinner for our program held in the dining hall at the college. We were served delicious appetizers, main courses, and dessert. It was great to be with our teachers and the program’s staff.
Outside The Eagle and Child restaurant
After dinner chocolates with Univ crest














On our way home to Bath, we made a stop at Blenheim Palace, a gorgeous site where Winston Churchill was born. The palace was built after a British victory against the French as a celebration, and was given as a gift to the first Duke of Marlborough, John Churchill. Obviously, the most famous member of the Churchill family was Winston Churchill, who was the son of the 7th Duke of Marlborough. I couldn’t believe all of the history and scenery of the site, which was picture-perfect. We got to eat lunch at the Palace’s café, which overlooked some of the gardens.

Blenheim Palace


Gardens of Blenheim Palace
All in all, this past week has been nothing short of remarkable. It’s hard to believe I’ve stepped foot in some places that are hundreds of years older than me and full of stories. I am just a sliver of them. It’s truly an opportunity I’ll never forget.


No comments:

Post a Comment