Saturday, September 7, 2013

Let the School Year Begin

This past week has been nothing short of eventful, as I have traveled to some beautiful sights in England and started my classes. It still hasn’t quite sunk in that I’m studying here for the semester because the new environment I’m living in is lively and full of adventure.

Orientation week ended this past Sunday and the whole ASE program traveled to Stonehenge and the towns of Salisbury and Lacock. Stonehenge was nothing short of amazing. Since I have hiked into Machu Picchu, I realized I’ve now visited two of the Seven Wonders of the World. Stonehenge isn’t as big as I thought it would be, however it was so interesting to see the mixture of cultures that came together to see this sight. After visiting Stonehenge, we traveled to the town of Salisbury, and visited the Salisbury Cathedral, which has one of the four original copies of the Magna Carta. The cathedral was awe-inspiring. I was amazed to be in a building so beautiful that is centuries old. The highlight of the day was visiting the small village of Lacock. We visited Lacock Abbey, where, surprisingly enough, scenes of Harry Potter were filmed. In fact, the whole village was used for filming. We ate at a small pub before returning home.

Stonehenge

Salisbury Cathedral

Classes have begun for the semester, and my brain is now returning from summer mode. My first class was Education in England, and I will be analyzing the UK educational system while comparing it to the US educational system. Along with this class, I am in an Education tutorial and will be a placement at the Bathampton Primary School every Tuesday. I met my teacher on Tuesday, and she is the sweetest! The school is over a hundred years old and its small, cozy values are still felt today. The staff was so welcoming and excited for my arrival. I found it funny, and maybe I should get used to it, that when I introduce myself, people are surprised by my name. Apparently, Shelby isn’t a popular name here, and I have been the first Shelby people have met before. Back to the subject, I’m so excited for my placement and to finally meet all the kids! In my class, the kids will be 7-8 years old. My teacher already warned me that I will be the topic of discussion, as the kids will want to know all about me. We will be focusing on the Roman Baths, along with other general subjects. The other two classes I’m taking, UK Media in a Globalized World and Ghosts and the Gothic: The Literature of Terror, are unlike anything I’ve taken before, but I thoroughly enjoyed my first class (yes, call me crazy!) I’ve managed my work so far, in between sightseeing and getting some sleep! There really aren’t enough hours in a day!

I’m sure I’ll be busier and have much more to talk about once the semester kicks into gear and I become more acclimated into the city. The two universities here in Bath don’t start until the beginning of October, so it’ll be nice to see more people my age! I’ll keep you all posted, so until week!

All my best,

Shelby

No comments:

Post a Comment