Tuesday, September 24, 2013

A Month in Reflection: What I've Learned

It was a month ago today that I was eagerly awaiting my flight to England, of which I would board the next day. After being in England almost a month, I can't believe the wealth of knowledge I've already gained, not only about the culture of England, but about myself. People always say that studying abroad is one of the best things a person can do. Now, I see why. There's no way I can put an answer into words....well, not yet at least. What I can do is provide a list of all the things I have learned one month into my abroad experience.


  • Even though you may be in an English speaking country, you will still find yourself not understanding everything being said.
  • With that said, get to know the common phrases of the culture and language. They're fun to learn and use in conversation.
  • Food from home does exist here (Ben and Jerry's rejoice!)
  • However, food isn't always the same, or named the same thing. It's important to adapt to new brands and names of food. You'll find your favorites.
  • When eating out, try local or cultural dishes. You'll never know what you like
  • Appreciate the scenery around you. It's easy to get caught up in the quick pace of life, especially once classes get into full swing, but you're abroad! Enjoy it!
  • Talk to your family when you can. It may not be every day, but they want to share the experience with you. Trust me.
  • Talk with the locals. Yes, you're American, but they're just as intrigued with you as you are with them. 
  • The faucets (well, taps here) are different. No more is the one faucet providing an even mixture of hot and cold water.
  • Make friends with tea. Everyone drinks it.
  • British children are the absolute cutest....and have the best names!
  • Tour around the city you are in. It's far too easy to travel to other countries and ignore the city you chose to study abroad in. 
  • Take care of yourself. It takes time to adjust to a new area, so spend some time by yourself if you need it. Take a shower, take a nap, or go buy a coffee and a snack. If you've ever been stressed at school before, you know how to cope best with stress. The same applies abroad.
  • Be patient. It takes time to get into a new routine, let alone in a new country.
  • And last, but certainly not least, driving on the left hand side of the road will make you feel like you are on a roller coaster. Period. 
I'm sure as the next few months come along, I'll have more words of wisdom to share, but this is just a preliminary list for starters. It's hard to believe how fast a month flies, but I can't wait for all the adventures that are to come these next three months!

No comments:

Post a Comment